To support the site business strategy through the management of an efficient and effective engineering function. This involves driving through the KPIs determined at site level with regards to planned and preventative maintenance, reaction time to breakdowns, cost control etc. Furthermore to deal with unforeseen work and ensure the appropriate deployment of resource including contractors within agreed budgets.
1. To cascade and deliver the key business objectives and performance targets determined both at Group and site level for the Maintenance Department.
2. To monitor and control maintenance costs in line with budgetary requirements, obtaining the necessary authorization in line with Group policies and procedures.
3. To provide leadership to the site engineering team – coaching engineers during breakdowns and overseeing time critical repairs.
4. To manage and direct the day to day operations of the Maintenance team, including determining needed repairs and improvements, establishing project priorities and assigning work tasks, scheduling work to most effectively meet the needs of production with minimal disruption.
5. To plan scheduled work and respond accordingly to unforeseen work activity ensuring the competence of the engineering team to meet these requirements
6. To best utilize internal and external 3rd party resource to deal appropriately with those situations that occur on site, depending on capability, specialism and skill set.
7. To manage and advise on third party site contracts communicating appropriately with the Site Operations Manager and Group Engineering Manager on costs, SLAs and ongoing satisfaction with contractors.
8. To improve the production facilities and reduce the number of costly breakdown incidents by developing proactive maintenance strategies to improve overall reliability of the plant, personnel and production processes.
9. To formulate and deliver a program of planned preventative maintenance for all key pieces of equipment throughout the site, to ensure downtime is minimized at all times.
10. To improve the life of the plant, equipment and machinery through the use of modern continuous improvement techniques.
11. To control maintenance tools and equipment.
12. To participate in site visits and audits, when required, in a manner appropriate to the good of the company’s business and ensure the Management team and other relevant parties are fully debriefed in preparation of the visit.
13. To actively promote best practice and strive for Maintenance to achieve standards of excellence by identifying and implementing corrective actions for non-conformances.
14. The role holder will be responsible for signing off or delegating the sign off of a number of reports and procedures that must be completed at prescribed frequencies.
15. To provide effective and timely monitoring of all performance data to ensure that improvements, where identified, are realised.
16. To document departmental activity through preparation of various reports, work orders, maintenance schedules and other incidental reporting
17. To ensure that the departmental KPIs are implemented and achieved, and results are accurately recorded and analysed on a regular basis, to enable KPIs to be measured. Where there are shortfalls, remedial action plans should be implemented to resolve them.
18. To establish effective communication channels with direct reports and other members of the senior site management team, to ensure compliance with all site quality manuals, SOPs, HACCP etc.
19. To ensure that all repairs undertaken are completed in a manner that does not compromise food safety.
20. To maintain and improve the Health and Safety and hygiene standards in accordance with relevant legislative and company requirements.
21. To fully investigate any near miss, accident or breach of company or statutory H&S policies and to keep the senior management team fully informed of any events, incidents, concerns or potential hazards that could give rise to any potential claims. Enforce the correct usage of PPE and conduct regular risk assessments on equipment and processes.
22. To be accountable for driving health and safety related information where the engineering/maintenance function has an awareness of any potential site risks and to provide a comprehensive action plan to management for resolving such issues.
23. To take ownership of the identification and delivery of appropriate training to enable the department to develop SOPs, ensuring that these are carried out with 100% compliance by the team at all times.
24. To promote initiatives that support the overall motivation, training, development and deployment of employee resources within maintenance.
25. To take responsibility for the performance and development of those individuals reporting to the role holder, ensuring that performance related feedback is given. Ensure that all team members adhere to company policies, legislative requirements and customer trends.
26. To work with and through the Engineering buyers/Group Procurement team to ensure timely maintenance of the inventory of spares and repair parts, materials and tools.
27. Hold weekly/fortnightly maintenance/continuous improvement meetings with documented action points.
28. To liaise with Production team, external contractors whilst on site in order to ensure compliance to company and legislative policies.
29. Provide monthly stock figures for maintenance spares, highlighting any risks in critical spares list to ensure plant up time.
The above is a broad definition of the job responsibilities.
It does not take into account every aspect of the job because of the areas of flexibility, which the jobholder may be required to perform.