We are looking for a Finance Business Partner to join our team, supporting Harris Academy St Johns Wood, Harris Academy Bermondsey and Harris Academy Battersea.
The role will report to the Senior Business Partner at our head office in Croydon, but will require significant time to be spent on site at the academies.
The Harris Federation is a leading education charity with 51 Harris primary and secondary academies across London and Essex. The founder, Chairman and sponsor of the Harris Federation, Lord Harris of Peckham, opened our first school in 1990. We now educate some 38,000 young people and closing the gap between children from disadvantaged backgrounds and their peers has always been a core mission.
The Harris Federation has a track record of accomplishment in achieving success through rapid school improvement and has built an unrivalled reputation for running outstanding academies in London.
Our central team comprises a dedicated, driven group of departments working centrally to provide support across the Federation and all of our academies. Across a multitude of key departments, we maintain an outstanding body of staff all integral to supporting central and academy finance, HR, Data, Estates management, Talent and many more.
Main Areas of Responsibility
The successful candidate will:
- Provide monthly financial reporting and advice to senior management and budget holders, including a staff forecast report and available to spend report.
- Prepare Annual Budget and 3-year financial forecast preparation and monitoring
- Prepare Monthly balance sheet, control accounts and cash flow management
- Review and authorisation of Academy Bacs runs along with the Principal
- Review of monthly credit card and petty cash reconciliations
- Review of aged debtors and creditor reports and support finance officers in clearing balances
- Review the payroll reports and highlight significant variations to budget to the Principal
- Assist with the Teachers’ Pension reconciliations, annual reporting and audit
- Assist with the financial risk to be captured in the Academy’s risk register if needed
- Managing all internal and external financial audit processes
- Up to 1 day per week academy visit, day to be agreed with the Academy
- Ensure all ESFA/ LA financial claims are made on behalf of the Academy
- Work with Academy SENCO to ensure all the required funding is duly claimed including LAC funding.
- Work with Academy Budget holders to ensure reporting forecasts are accurate e.g. Premises Manager, Exams Manager, Nursery and Wraparound Managers etc.
- Assist with Finance Officer recruitment and support / provide any training needs required.
- Provide termly checks on:
- Academy contract register
- Verification checks on fixed assets
- Review FSM assessments
- Attend and report on financial performance at termly F&GP meetings.
- Support with costing analysis and budgetary sign-off needed for new contract negotiation
- Ensure consistency of work and quality control procedures are overseen by Senior FBP
- Monitoring the prompt completion of PO/ invoice submission and completion on Concur by finance officer
- Ensure that Principals new to the Federation have a detailed and effective induction programme by working with the relevant Quadrant Finance Lead.
Qualifications & Experience
- CIMA/ACCA/CIPFA qualified
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Excellent interpersonal skills and gravitas to liaise with senior staff in the Academies
- Good team player and skilled at building relationships
- Accustomed to working to tight reporting deadlines
- Will have to demonstrate a "can do" attitude
- Need to demonstrate excellent time management skills
- Demonstrate good analytical skills and a positive approach to problem solving
- Have high level of excel and good exposure to different Accounting Systems
- Be able to work flexibly in rapidly changing business
If you have any questions about this opportunity, please contact by an email to arrange a conversation with the Director.
Before applying, please download the Job Pack for full details on the job responsibilities and person specification. You will need this when completing your application.
Please note: we may hold interviews as and when applications are received and we reserve the right to offer to a candidate prior to the closing date. We only accept applications submitted online via our careers website and which are completed before the closing deadline. With this in mind, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible and advise you check the job information as per the listing on our careers site.
Rewards & Benefits
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level to senior leadership.
We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.
In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants. Before applying, please review our Policy Statement on the Recruitment of Ex-Offenders.
The Harris Federation is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates.
As a provider of employment and education, we value the diversity of our staff and students, and all our staff are equally valued and respected. We are committed to providing a fair, equitable and mutually supportive learning and working environment for our students and staff.